Out of all the nail polish brands that I’ve tried, I have to say O.P.I. is definitely my favorite. And here’s why – they have a wide array of colors, the brush in the nail polish is flat, allowing an easier paint job, the hilarious color names, the polish lasts long and did I mention ALL of their colors? My new favorite color is called “Don’t Know… Beets Me.” It’s a hot pink – the middle color on the top row. Absolutely love it. Can’t wait to wear it throughout the holidays!
Posts Tagged ‘beauty’
The winter season is slowly creeping upon us and that mean dry skin, dry lips, dry hair. Well I am not going to get in to all of them in this single post, but the most important of the three is definitely dry skin. There are a lot of creams you could buy at CVS or Rite Aid, however, not all of them smell great. I purchased “A Perfect World” from Origins last year and it’s taken me an entire year to write about it. I still use it (sparingly since it’s pretty pricey) when I get out of the shower for a fresh scent (the scent is from the White Tea, but it smells more like peach) and lasting moisture throughout the day.
It’s great for people who don’t want a heavy perfume smell, and are allergic to fragrances. Since the smell is from the organic ingredients, you really have nothing to worry about. Plus the White Tea is great to keep your skin smooth and firm. The shea butter is great to combat dry scaly skin. Overall, a win-win situation!
I was on a layover in Miami last weekend and of course, couldn’t help but shop! I checked into this accessory / beauty / spa store and found these luxurious lotions and soaps from Lather. The first product I tried was their Ugandan Shea Butter. Now after 5 hours on a plane, my skin was parched so I need some hand cream. This thick, creamy, non-oily shea butter absorbed into my hands almost immediately. I was impressed. Then about 2 hours later and a couple hand-washings later, the softness was still noticeable. I was shocked – no other hand lotion lasts for that long, do they?
So that pretty much had me convinced. I bought a tub of this shea butter and man, am I glad that I did! It’s amazing. I only have to reapply once when I’m at work (in a very very dry office) and my skin stays moisturized. Not to mention, the amazing smell! Highly recommend!
Say what? Matte nailpolish? Yup, that’s right folks, forget the super shine top coat on this one. O.P.I. has jumped on board so you know it’s extra hot.I actually picked up “La Paz-itively Hot” (The pink one, of course) and didn’t realize it was a Matte until I got halfway home and read the tag. The tag reads says you can’t wear hand lotion or any sort of top/base coat. I thought – WTH!?? I can’t put on hand lotion! After testing this matte color out, I was super impressed at how FAST it dryed. Literally within 2 minutes of applying 2 coats, I was doing dishes and other things and guess what? NO smudges! This is definitely a perk and the matte doesn’t look so bad after all. I also that applying hand lotion only takes away some of the shine, and for someone who didn’t even know I signed up for matte, it’s no sweat off my back.
I love LUSH. I discovered the small shop in NYC at their store in Soho. When living in such a small dirty city (sorry New Yorkers!), I searched to find handmade organic products that would help rejuvanate my skin and bring back all of the essential oils that were lost from my daily wear and tear. My favorite product from LUSH are their bath bombs. You know when you just want to relax after a long week? Bath Bombs are so delicious because all you do it throw them in a hot back and as they dissolve, they give your face a bit of a facial as well.
This one is Sakura Bath Bomb and it’s packed with floral fragrances. My other favorite is a special limited edition bath bomb that only comes out around Christmas time. I’ve also tried their Dream Cream and honey soap and both were luxurious as well. Also, I almost forgot to mention that since all of their products are handmade, you can actually buy facial scrubs and masks freshly made – sort of like a salad bar at the store. Pricey? Sort of. Worth it? HELL YES!
I ran into the found of Mixed Chicks, Kim, at my gym. I overheard her talking about her company so I asked her about it. First of all, Kim is wonderful and beautiful and has this hair care company that she told me about. Of course, I was dying to try it. After all, Halle Berry raves about this stuff! A couple weeks later, I got some hair products in the mail. Now, let me begin with saying that Mixed Chicks is typically made for people of mixed descent who have frizzy and unmanageable hair. I have straight, thin hair. So I gave some of the products to my cousin who has got very tight curls and my boyfriend whose hair looks like a brillo pad, to say the least. I did use some and I’m hooked, so this stuff, while made for curly haired people, is also great for people with thin – straight hair!
I tried the shampoo and deep conditioner. Let me say, I have stopped using all the organic product that I’ve sworn by in the past because this takes the cake. Why? The shampoo is super lathery and is a great deep clean. Plus, I love the smell- it smells like a fancy hair salon. Yes, that’s the best I can come up with!
The deep conditioner is a wonder. My hair is really long and usually I have to use TONS of conditioner to detangle and still my hair comes out in knots. This deep conditioner is so strong that you only need a dime size – literally – I am not kidding. It detangles and smells great. My own beef with this is that I wish it came in a squeeze bottle. I hate having to unscrew the tub every time.
I gave the leave in conditioner to my cousin as well as a sample set which included both of the above and the hair silk serum. She loves it all, and notes that the leave in conditioner is a bit thick, so you really have to work it in, but works wonders, nonetheless. And LADIES, the HIS MIX is perfect for your man. Same great smell as the Mixed Chicks for you. The best part is that you can use it too when you’re at his house!
Makeup isn’t cheap – especially for the high quality kinds, and we all know that we’re on a tight budget. But please remember to refrain from sharing makeup – ESPECIALLY stuff that you use on your eyes and lips. Why?
1. Eye make up has the highest risk of contamination with possible irritation and eye infections. Since our eyes are so sensitive, it does not take much bacteria to cause an eye infection. What a horrible way to get pink eye!
2. Lip gloss is also another bad offender. Because it comes in contact with your saliva, it’s easy to share lip infections like cold sores.
3. If you have shared makeup, remember to clean all your brushes (you should be doing this once a week, anyway) and keep the containers on your makeup closed tightly to prevent more germs from getting in. Makeup usually has some preservatives that help with germs, but this is not 100%, so be safe.
And last but not least, here are some safety tips to keep your makeup clean:
- Keep makeup containers closed tight when not in use.
- Keep makeup out of the sunlight to avoid destroying the preservatives.
- Don’t use eye cosmetics if you have an eye infection such as conjunctivitis (pink eye), and throw away any makeup you were using when you first discovered the infection.
- Never add any liquid to a product unless the instructions tell you to.
- Throw away any makeup if the color changes or an odor develops. Preservatives can degrade over time and may not be able to fight bacteria
The holidays are here (my favorite time of year) and with the holidays comes gift giving. Now, I love giving gifts but I also have to face the fact that we’re in a recession, so spending $50 bucks on a friend isn’t really realistic. Plus, you have coworkers and such. So I’ve compiled a list of the best gifts to give for under $20.
1. Lip Saver Roll by Korres ($15.60 with discount code)– This roll of Lip balm is nothing like you’re used to. I hate those annoying lip balms that smell bad, dry out your lips and come off easily. This is a real treat – since it’s made with shea butters, it offers hydration, a light tint and some shine to your lips. Not to mention the great scent -Remember too, Korres products are all natural, so you can be assured that this product is quality. Anyway, you can never have too many lip butters! (Also enter the keyword URBAN for a special 20% off discount until the end of November!)
2. Totally Bamboo Pineapple Cutting Board and Spreader ($18 for both) – This is for the friend or family member who love to entertain, or just loves to cook. This adorable Pineapple Cutting Board is only $15 and spreader is only $3! What a bargain. It’s great to serve cheese or fruit or for cutting smaller items. This is not only a great holiday gift, but also something that’s good to keep on hand for when you need a quick hostess gift or housewarming present. Also, did you know that Bamboo is 16% harder than maple so the board will last longer. It also has anti-microbial properties to repel bacteria. You get all of this while helping to keep the world green!
3. Frozen Hot Chocolate Mix From Serendipity ($16) – Who doesn’t love hot chocolate during the winter months? Well, this is a new spin – FROZEN Hot Chocolate! It’s absolutely amazing – ask anyone who’s visited the restaurant in New York. This rich, creamy hot chocolate beats anything you can get in the store and you can make it hot or cold. You decide!
4. 88 Piece Makeup Palette by Coastal Scents ($18.95) – Nope, that’s not a type. You do really get 88 super pigmented eyeshadow colors. What else could a girl need? Each color is about a dime size, but since they are super pigmented, you only need a touch of it. Great to travel with and will last a lifetime. Not to mention you can use them wet or dry.
5. Lambie Ballerina Slippers and Shea Butter Socks ($20 for both) – Pamper your feet this holiday season with Lambie Ballerina Slippers and a pair of Shea Butter Socks. These socks have shea butter infused in them to keep your feel silky and smooth, then wear the slippers around the house for even a softer luxurious feel while hanging out buy the fire or cookin’ up a yummy holiday meal!
6. Try me Shea by L’Occitane ($15) – With winter comes dryness and we all know that nothing is less sexy than dry, cracked skin. Which is why ‘Try Me Shea‘ is the perfect holiday gift. This luxurious gift bag comes with shower cream, lotion, hand cream, shampoo, conditioner, face soap and a travel pouch. Say buh-bye to dryness and hello Shea butter!
7. Aunt Sadie’s Holiday Candles ($18) – There is nothing that reminds me of a holiday more so than the fresh scented aroma of baking gingerbread cookies and cinnamon spice. Well, with Aunt Sadie’s Holiday Candles, you can replicate the smell to make your house smell great all holiday season!
8. Knitted Beret from Gap ($19.50) – Stay warm while doing your holiday shopping with a cute knitted beret from Gap. It’s stylish, warm and under $20. This makes a great gift for the friend who lives in cold weather or just loves to be outfitted from head to toe. Comes in 4 great colors.
Well that just about completes this year’s holiday gift guide for under $20. Is there something I missed or something that you’d love to receive for under $20? Leave it in the comments!
If you’re an organic, all-natural makeup junkie like me, or just want something that won’t irritate your skin, then look no further. Korres‘ beauty products are all natural and they are among the most environmentally friendly and skin compatible products available on the beauty market these days. It’s nice to know that some companies actually care about what you put on your face! They have all natural extracts with antioxidants that are proven to transform your skin. Don’t believe me? Try it yourself. All their stuff is available at Sephora.
If you’re not sure what to try out, here are a few of my favorites:
Monoi Oil Bronzing Powder: I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. Not only does it lightly hydrate your skin so it doesn’t appear all flaky and dry, it provides a light shimmer to give you that sunkissed glow.
Pomegranate Cleaning and Makeup Removing Pads: How convenient are these makeup removers? It makes taking off makeup so easy and fun. Not to mention they offer antioxidant protection and smell delicious!
Wild Rose Foundation: This foundation is light, provides a dewy look yet gives the coverage that you need. The best part about it is that is has SPF 20 so you don’t need to be thinking about putting on sunscreen. It also has your daily dose of Vitamin C!
One of the best things about NYC – besides the subways, dunkin donuts, Times Square, Central Park, East Village, Hot Dog Stands – is that they have Spa Week every year and all New Yorkers embrace it. It’s basically a week where a bunch of reputable spas around the city charge a mere $50 bucks for their top of the line treatments. You only pay $50 and get over a hundred dollars worth of relaxation.
I love Spa week because I really can’t afford to go on a regular basis, but for $50 bucks – what the heck! Plus they offer everything from Acupuncture, Facials, Swedish Massages and a ton more. For more information, check out this site Spaweek Guide which offers tips on how to spa, questions you might have if you’re a first timer and a list of places that are participating. Ahhhhhhhh…..
I’m not a lipstick wearing gal. Mostly for the fact that I don’t like getting lipstick on my food, drinks and in my mouth. I wanted to find a deep red lipstick that I could wear when I go out and I automatically thought M.A.C because it’ s my favorite makeup line. This lipstick is the perfect color and I noticed that it also supports HIV and AIDS.
Does anyone have have any good suggestions on colors and lipsticks that don’t fade easily?
The other day I was waiting to go to a party and I was walking around union square and slipped into their sephora to buy an the eybrow kit, Brow Zings from Benefit (this is the best kit every, BTW). I started talking to the very helpful sales person and I ended up spending $150!
I didn’t know that you had to clean your makeup brushes every week! My makeup brushes were like 6 years old and every cleaned, but 2 times, hehe. So I vowed to be clean and bacteria free and bought this kit. It’s a great buy at only $44 bucks and you get the essentials. All I needed to by to accompany this was an eyeliner brush for $12. What a bargain. I urge you to clean your brushes often and if it’s been too long, just toss them. It’s not work the eye bacteria. EWW.
I absolutely love this Dream Cream from Lush. (Well, I love everything except for the price – it’s $22 bucks a pop!) It is VERY mosturizing and contains great ingredients, including Camomile Oil, Tea Tree Oil, Cocoa Butter and more. After a few days it leaves dry skin feeling great, especially those rough spots on elbows and hands. It’s also recommended for people with sore skin or eczema – which is why I use it – it’s all natural. (And it smells great!)
*If you’re hesitant about dropping the big bucks on such a small tub of lotion, you can visit a store and get a free sample to try out!
Check out this video where Rob and Corinne from Threadbanger show you how to make your own eco-friendly cosmetics. It’s really easy and really fun – plus you can add your own fragrances and essential oils!
I see Le Mer products all over New York and when I’m not seeing this expensive beauty and cosmetics line, I’m reading about it in magazines. Ok, so sure Gwenyth Paltrow, Rachel Bilson and Paris Hilton uses this… but let’s all face it. They can afford it! So this is my question to you – is it really worth the price? $125 for 1 oz of face cream???
Then I read about the Cosmetics Restriction Diet in the NY Times and it basically said that a person only needs a good cleanser and a facial sunscreen – all that can be purchased for under $30 at your local drugstore.
What do you think?
who is a member of makeup alley? if you don’t know what that is, you can check it out here. it’s a pretty cool forum all about makeup, beauty and beauty products. you can get some great reviews by real people and you can even swap makeup – though i wouldn’t recommend that!!! got a question? they have an answer. and there are always thousands of people on the site, so you always have someone to talk to about makeup…. and who doesn’t like talking about makeup? so next time you’re going to splurge on that 30 dollar lancome eyeshadow, make sure you check out makeup alley and see if its actually worth the big bucks!