Out of all the nail polish brands that I’ve tried, I have to say O.P.I. is definitely my favorite. And here’s why – they have a wide array of colors, the brush in the nail polish is flat, allowing an easier paint job, the hilarious color names, the polish lasts long and did I mention ALL of their colors? My new favorite color is called “Don’t Know… Beets Me.” It’s a hot pink – the middle color on the top row. Absolutely love it. Can’t wait to wear it throughout the holidays!
Archive for the 'beauty' Category
Rachel Bilson is no doubt a fashion icon. She’s brought back the Wayfarer trend and now she’s rockin’ two toned hair. Now usually when someone has two-toned hair its probably because they were too lazy to go back to their hairstylist and get their hair re-dyed. Hell… even Drew Barrymore has signed on to this trend. And, lucky for you frugal people who don’t want to do that — just leave your hair… it’s now a trend. So, now I’m going to throw it to you — Out of all her fab hairstyles, which is your favorite? Are you digging the new two-toned trend?
The winter season is slowly creeping upon us and that mean dry skin, dry lips, dry hair. Well I am not going to get in to all of them in this single post, but the most important of the three is definitely dry skin. There are a lot of creams you could buy at CVS or Rite Aid, however, not all of them smell great. I purchased “A Perfect World” from Origins last year and it’s taken me an entire year to write about it. I still use it (sparingly since it’s pretty pricey) when I get out of the shower for a fresh scent (the scent is from the White Tea, but it smells more like peach) and lasting moisture throughout the day.
It’s great for people who don’t want a heavy perfume smell, and are allergic to fragrances. Since the smell is from the organic ingredients, you really have nothing to worry about. Plus the White Tea is great to keep your skin smooth and firm. The shea butter is great to combat dry scaly skin. Overall, a win-win situation!
I’ve tried the liquid eyeliner, eyeliner in a pot, wet/dry eyeliner and eyeliner pencil (twist and sharpen kinds, of course), and after all of my trials and tribulations with it, I’m still on the fence about which is the best. If I have time, I absolutely recommend Bobbi Brown’s Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner. It has a smooth finish and lasts all day. Not to mention the damn thing lasts forever! But let’s face it – when we’re rushing out of the house in the morning or even applying in the car (which I don’t recommend), we want something fast, right? What’s your go-to eyeliner? I’d like to find something that’s on the reasonably side price, however long lasting and quick to apply.
What do you think of this hair? I’ll tell you what I think. It looks lazy. It’s like they just don’t care about touching up their roots. I admit, I’ve been a victim to two-toned hair before, but mine was obviously done on purpose. Drew’s hair actually looked like she just let it grow out. I’m not sure this style will grow on me, but I’d love to hear your thoughts!
You ever come home from the beach with salt in your hair and have this amazing tousled look that only comes with a day lounging at the beach? Well, isn’t it a shame when you have to wash it out and your hair goes back to that limp, fine look that you started out with? Lucky for you, Bumble and Bumble makes a Surf Spray.
Great on people with thin, fine hair or people with minimal curl/waves that just want a little boost. This Surf Spray gives your hair that beachy, matte look and adds a lot of lift and volume. All you do is flip your hair spray some and scrunch and voila! You have that beach, sunkissed look. The only downside is that it’s pretty pricey for only 40z… a little over $20. But, if you use it sparingly, then it’s a great deal. It also gives you a medium hold without making your hair feel scrunchy.
Just like the title says, Lips Balms are my friends. I carry them everywhere I go and I always have one on hand because there is nothing more annoying than flaky dry lips. I’m not talking about Chapstick or probably most of those that you grab last-minute at the check-out counter. I’m talking about natural, organic lip balms that actually hydrate your lips and improve them. Below are a few of my favs, but if you have one in particular that you can’t live without, I’d love to hear what it it is!
1. Caudalie Lip Conditioner: What I like about this is that it has soothing anti-oxidents and anti-aging benefits. And since you’re lips are always out in the sun and exposed to the harsh weathers, it’s important to keep them hydrated.
2. Soothing Lip Balm by Origins: I know, I know.. it’s a little pricey at $15 a pop, but it’s well worth it. I keep this one in my bathroom and apply liberally before going to bed. I love that it has shea and cocoa butters and the texture is just a little bumpy. Plus, it always makes my lips feel wonderful!
3. Yu-Be Lip Therapy: Yu-Be is an made from an old Japanese cream formula that is moisturizing and made from glycerin and Vitamin E. What I really love about this formula is that it doesn’t contain sulfates, parabens or phtalates and is pretty affordable. For $5, you really can’t beat this quality product!
I was on a layover in Miami last weekend and of course, couldn’t help but shop! I checked into this accessory / beauty / spa store and found these luxurious lotions and soaps from Lather. The first product I tried was their Ugandan Shea Butter. Now after 5 hours on a plane, my skin was parched so I need some hand cream. This thick, creamy, non-oily shea butter absorbed into my hands almost immediately. I was impressed. Then about 2 hours later and a couple hand-washings later, the softness was still noticeable. I was shocked – no other hand lotion lasts for that long, do they?
So that pretty much had me convinced. I bought a tub of this shea butter and man, am I glad that I did! It’s amazing. I only have to reapply once when I’m at work (in a very very dry office) and my skin stays moisturized. Not to mention, the amazing smell! Highly recommend!
Mother’s Day is fast approaching, and I know there are some of you who haven’t even put thought into what you’ll get for your wonderful mother! Well, don’t worry, because I’ve done some legwork for you so you can just sit back, relax and take all the credit for these great ideas. Really, it’s ok – you can take the credit.
1. Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler: If your mom is a gardening Guru, like my mom is, then this may be the perfect gift for her, especially if she lives out in the country (like my mom does). This sprinkler is motion-activated to turn on when an animal runs in front of it and save your mom’s garden from being eaten by garden critters. Plus, it’s a pretty funny concept and sure to get a laugh at the least bit!
2. Totally Bamboo Butcher Block: This is a great present if your mom is an avid cook. Sure, she’s got tons of cutting boards, but they’re probably plastic (BAD!), or just the normal everyday block from the store. This Butcher Block from Totally Bamboo is more than a board – it’s a statement. It makes a great everyday board or serving platter for big parties. The best part is that you can just leave it out all the time for some serious chopping! And if you don’t want such a big commitment, check out their Utility Greenlight Boards (they’re dishwasher safe!).
3. Mint Chocolate Chip Cupcake Bath Bomb: Whose mom doesn’t like mint chocolate chip cupcakes? And a bath? Then you’re sure to score extra brownie points with this one. Light your mom some candles, throw this yummy bath bomb into the tub and let her sit back and relax. And YOU do the dishes and vacuum for once!
4. LeSportsac Weekend Duffle Bag: Got a mom who loves a weekend getaway? Of course you do – who doesn’t like to take a mini vacation? Well, in order to have a complete mini-vacation, you’ll need to have all the accessories, including the perfect bag to go along with it. LeSportsac has tons of different colors and patterns to make your mom’s weekend getaway complete. Now all you’ll have to do is convince your Dad to get her the actual weekend package!
I am a hugeee hugeee fan of Lipstick Queen. I am usually not one to purchase lipstick or lipgloss because of my bad experiences in the past with them. They are usually too sticky, too pasty looking and leaves my lips dry once its worn off. Well – ladies and gents (but mostly ladies), I bring to you the end to all lipsticks – Lipstick Queen!
Here are my two favorite products from them:
1. Chinatown Glossy Pencil: This chunky pencil really gives lip liners and lipsticks a run for its money. You’ve got your lip liner PLUS lipstick for a shiny, sheer gloss coat. It’s super easy to apply (obv.) and really the best part is that its easy to just throw in your purse. No mess or fuss! Don’t ask me how they make it shiny, but they do and once its applied, it feels super silky and moisturizing. The color that I have is Genre – you think orange – gross! But no, looks pinky and is very complimentary with my olive toned skin. This is definitely a must-have in my makeup bag.
2. Fifteen Minutes of Fame: If you want a super super shiny lip gloss, then this is for you. Also, very easy to apply and travel with (I’m a huge fan of ease), one turn of the base and you’ve got a great drop of concentrated color. When I first applied it, I thought the color was a bit too strong, but after brushing it evenly over my lips, it was very sheer with just a hint of color. I have #3, but I’d love to try something more HOT PINK… maybe #13?
If your skin is anything like mine, you need FULL moisture, especially to battle these cold, winter, dry months. And if you work in an office with no fresh air, your symptoms may also be magnified. Here are some of my favorite beauty products that help to make the winter months more… bearable, I should say.
1. Caudalie’s Beauty Elixer: This fantastic serum can be used anytime (which is the best part about it!). Under makeup, over makeup, as a pick me up, nighttime relaxer. You name it! It’s a mist-serum that containes essential oils that help keep skin smooth, moisturized, and toned. Not to mention it’s refreshing cooling feel and great smell!
2. L’Occitane’s Shea Butter Hand Cream: This amazing thick moisturizer is perfect to keep your hands well hydrated. The shea butter is infused with honey, almond and coconut oil for the perfect combination. Plus this travel size is great to keep in your purse or at your desk at work.
3. Aveeno’s Intense Relief Overnight Cream: Don’t be fooled by the “overnight” part. This cream is an essential and I use it during the day as well. The colloidal oatmeal and shea butter help with any sort of itching, plus provides full moisture. I apply this right out of the shower and though it is thick, it sinks into the skin fairly quickly and leaves no oily residue.
4. Egyptian Magic: This fabulous balm is made with mostly olive oil, bee pollen, beeswax, honey, and bee propolis. Don’t worry about the slightly funny smell, the results are amazing. It’s called a cream, but looks more like a balm. You only need to apply a little bit to your hand and work it to make it warm and more “spreadable,” then apply to dry spots, cuts, face, elbows, anywhere that need some “love.” I much prefer this to Aquaphor, which I feel is sticky and greasy. Egyptian Magic is quickly absorbed into the skin for maximum relief.
5. Origins Soothing Lip Balm: This thick lip balm isn’t like others that need to be reapplied constantly. If you’re like me, my skin doesnt feel good if my lips are dry, cracked and flaky. Made with 97% organic ingredients, this lip balm has shea and cocoa butter, palm, coconut, safflower and vanilla oils. Because of it’s organic nature, it’s not as smooth going on as most lip balms, but it’s well worth it. Quite pricey for a lip balm ($15), so save this one for emergencies only!
Got an amazing product that I forgot to mention? Leave it in the comments or email me!
I love LUSH. I discovered the small shop in NYC at their store in Soho. When living in such a small dirty city (sorry New Yorkers!), I searched to find handmade organic products that would help rejuvanate my skin and bring back all of the essential oils that were lost from my daily wear and tear. My favorite product from LUSH are their bath bombs. You know when you just want to relax after a long week? Bath Bombs are so delicious because all you do it throw them in a hot back and as they dissolve, they give your face a bit of a facial as well.
This one is Sakura Bath Bomb and it’s packed with floral fragrances. My other favorite is a special limited edition bath bomb that only comes out around Christmas time. I’ve also tried their Dream Cream and honey soap and both were luxurious as well. Also, I almost forgot to mention that since all of their products are handmade, you can actually buy facial scrubs and masks freshly made – sort of like a salad bar at the store. Pricey? Sort of. Worth it? HELL YES!
I am newly obsessed with hot colored pink. I don’t know where this urge all of a sudden came from, but now I am on a hunt to find the perfect shade of hot pink. I found this awesome brand, Lipstick Queen and I think i have to order something! They have lipsticks, lip glosses and lip balms, lip pencils – you name it!
My favorite is Lipstick Queen’s 15 Minutes of Fame. They label each lipstick according to the minute! Clever! Hmm, I think I need number 7 or 8. What do you think?
Is your skin severly dehydrated? Are you unable to find a moisturizer that will keep you skin feeling soft and smelling delicious throughout the night? Well, my friends.. I have your answer. A Perfect World, by Origins is super thick with a soft sweet peach-like smell (although its the White Tea that smells.) My skin is super sensitive and usually I can’t use fragrance, but this doesn’t bother me at all.
It’s not rocket science. It’s a proven fact. Red lips are sexy and hot. Ask any guy. And especially with all the red dresses making their debut appearances for the company holiday parties, red lips are the perfect accessory. Now I would be lying if I said that Dita Von Teese doesn’t have the red lips down to a perfect science. She’s always on point and she looks fabulous with her dark red lips.
If you’re looking for the perfect set that settle all your red lip needs for the holiday, you must check out Korres Lip for the Cure in Radiant Red. This kit is perfect because it has everything you need to achieve the perfect lips. 2 lipliners depending on your skin tone (or you can use both!) and a deep red lipstick, that will leave everyone asking where you got it. Plus can you really beat the price tag of just under $20? I didn’t think so. And did I mention that 10% of the proceeds go to the support of Breast Cancer Coalition Fund? Double whammy.
Check out these celebs who rock the red lips the best:
I ran into the found of Mixed Chicks, Kim, at my gym. I overheard her talking about her company so I asked her about it. First of all, Kim is wonderful and beautiful and has this hair care company that she told me about. Of course, I was dying to try it. After all, Halle Berry raves about this stuff! A couple weeks later, I got some hair products in the mail. Now, let me begin with saying that Mixed Chicks is typically made for people of mixed descent who have frizzy and unmanageable hair. I have straight, thin hair. So I gave some of the products to my cousin who has got very tight curls and my boyfriend whose hair looks like a brillo pad, to say the least. I did use some and I’m hooked, so this stuff, while made for curly haired people, is also great for people with thin – straight hair!
I tried the shampoo and deep conditioner. Let me say, I have stopped using all the organic product that I’ve sworn by in the past because this takes the cake. Why? The shampoo is super lathery and is a great deep clean. Plus, I love the smell- it smells like a fancy hair salon. Yes, that’s the best I can come up with!
The deep conditioner is a wonder. My hair is really long and usually I have to use TONS of conditioner to detangle and still my hair comes out in knots. This deep conditioner is so strong that you only need a dime size – literally – I am not kidding. It detangles and smells great. My own beef with this is that I wish it came in a squeeze bottle. I hate having to unscrew the tub every time.
I gave the leave in conditioner to my cousin as well as a sample set which included both of the above and the hair silk serum. She loves it all, and notes that the leave in conditioner is a bit thick, so you really have to work it in, but works wonders, nonetheless. And LADIES, the HIS MIX is perfect for your man. Same great smell as the Mixed Chicks for you. The best part is that you can use it too when you’re at his house!
Makeup isn’t cheap – especially for the high quality kinds, and we all know that we’re on a tight budget. But please remember to refrain from sharing makeup – ESPECIALLY stuff that you use on your eyes and lips. Why?
1. Eye make up has the highest risk of contamination with possible irritation and eye infections. Since our eyes are so sensitive, it does not take much bacteria to cause an eye infection. What a horrible way to get pink eye!
2. Lip gloss is also another bad offender. Because it comes in contact with your saliva, it’s easy to share lip infections like cold sores.
3. If you have shared makeup, remember to clean all your brushes (you should be doing this once a week, anyway) and keep the containers on your makeup closed tightly to prevent more germs from getting in. Makeup usually has some preservatives that help with germs, but this is not 100%, so be safe.
And last but not least, here are some safety tips to keep your makeup clean:
- Keep makeup containers closed tight when not in use.
- Keep makeup out of the sunlight to avoid destroying the preservatives.
- Don’t use eye cosmetics if you have an eye infection such as conjunctivitis (pink eye), and throw away any makeup you were using when you first discovered the infection.
- Never add any liquid to a product unless the instructions tell you to.
- Throw away any makeup if the color changes or an odor develops. Preservatives can degrade over time and may not be able to fight bacteria
The holidays are here (my favorite time of year) and with the holidays comes gift giving. Now, I love giving gifts but I also have to face the fact that we’re in a recession, so spending $50 bucks on a friend isn’t really realistic. Plus, you have coworkers and such. So I’ve compiled a list of the best gifts to give for under $20.
1. Lip Saver Roll by Korres ($15.60 with discount code)– This roll of Lip balm is nothing like you’re used to. I hate those annoying lip balms that smell bad, dry out your lips and come off easily. This is a real treat – since it’s made with shea butters, it offers hydration, a light tint and some shine to your lips. Not to mention the great scent -Remember too, Korres products are all natural, so you can be assured that this product is quality. Anyway, you can never have too many lip butters! (Also enter the keyword URBAN for a special 20% off discount until the end of November!)
2. Totally Bamboo Pineapple Cutting Board and Spreader ($18 for both) – This is for the friend or family member who love to entertain, or just loves to cook. This adorable Pineapple Cutting Board is only $15 and spreader is only $3! What a bargain. It’s great to serve cheese or fruit or for cutting smaller items. This is not only a great holiday gift, but also something that’s good to keep on hand for when you need a quick hostess gift or housewarming present. Also, did you know that Bamboo is 16% harder than maple so the board will last longer. It also has anti-microbial properties to repel bacteria. You get all of this while helping to keep the world green!
3. Frozen Hot Chocolate Mix From Serendipity ($16) – Who doesn’t love hot chocolate during the winter months? Well, this is a new spin – FROZEN Hot Chocolate! It’s absolutely amazing – ask anyone who’s visited the restaurant in New York. This rich, creamy hot chocolate beats anything you can get in the store and you can make it hot or cold. You decide!
4. 88 Piece Makeup Palette by Coastal Scents ($18.95) – Nope, that’s not a type. You do really get 88 super pigmented eyeshadow colors. What else could a girl need? Each color is about a dime size, but since they are super pigmented, you only need a touch of it. Great to travel with and will last a lifetime. Not to mention you can use them wet or dry.
5. Lambie Ballerina Slippers and Shea Butter Socks ($20 for both) – Pamper your feet this holiday season with Lambie Ballerina Slippers and a pair of Shea Butter Socks. These socks have shea butter infused in them to keep your feel silky and smooth, then wear the slippers around the house for even a softer luxurious feel while hanging out buy the fire or cookin’ up a yummy holiday meal!
6. Try me Shea by L’Occitane ($15) – With winter comes dryness and we all know that nothing is less sexy than dry, cracked skin. Which is why ‘Try Me Shea‘ is the perfect holiday gift. This luxurious gift bag comes with shower cream, lotion, hand cream, shampoo, conditioner, face soap and a travel pouch. Say buh-bye to dryness and hello Shea butter!
7. Aunt Sadie’s Holiday Candles ($18) – There is nothing that reminds me of a holiday more so than the fresh scented aroma of baking gingerbread cookies and cinnamon spice. Well, with Aunt Sadie’s Holiday Candles, you can replicate the smell to make your house smell great all holiday season!
8. Knitted Beret from Gap ($19.50) – Stay warm while doing your holiday shopping with a cute knitted beret from Gap. It’s stylish, warm and under $20. This makes a great gift for the friend who lives in cold weather or just loves to be outfitted from head to toe. Comes in 4 great colors.
Well that just about completes this year’s holiday gift guide for under $20. Is there something I missed or something that you’d love to receive for under $20? Leave it in the comments!
If you’re an organic, all-natural makeup junkie like me, or just want something that won’t irritate your skin, then look no further. Korres‘ beauty products are all natural and they are among the most environmentally friendly and skin compatible products available on the beauty market these days. It’s nice to know that some companies actually care about what you put on your face! They have all natural extracts with antioxidants that are proven to transform your skin. Don’t believe me? Try it yourself. All their stuff is available at Sephora.
If you’re not sure what to try out, here are a few of my favorites:
Monoi Oil Bronzing Powder: I LOVE LOVE LOVE this product. Not only does it lightly hydrate your skin so it doesn’t appear all flaky and dry, it provides a light shimmer to give you that sunkissed glow.
Pomegranate Cleaning and Makeup Removing Pads: How convenient are these makeup removers? It makes taking off makeup so easy and fun. Not to mention they offer antioxidant protection and smell delicious!
Wild Rose Foundation: This foundation is light, provides a dewy look yet gives the coverage that you need. The best part about it is that is has SPF 20 so you don’t need to be thinking about putting on sunscreen. It also has your daily dose of Vitamin C!